This one comes as my all time favorite super saver dessert. The reason I like it so much is that it not only looks fancy but can also be made with minimum effort. Plus, this trifle recipe gives a superb blend of cake and custard and cream along with fruits. What a combo!
This recipe is a perfect fit for any occasion. With its mild flavors and melt in mouth consistency, this is a sure shot favorite of kids and grown ups equally.
- 1 1/2 cups of whole milk
- 3 tbsp custard powder (substitute 3 tablespoon corn starch + 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract/essence)
- 3 tbsp whole milk (for making custard paste)
- 4 tbsp sugar or as required
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (cold)
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 250 grams pound cake or 1 small cake
- 2 cups chopped mix fruit
- 4 to 5 tbsp of orange juice
- Chocolate shavings and cherries (for toppings)
- Dissolve 3 tbsp of custard powder in 3 tbsp of cold milk so that no lumps are formed and keep it aside.
- Now in a separate pan, take 1 1/2 cups milk; add 4 tbsp sugar and bring it to a boil.
- Add the custard powder paste and stir quickly, keeping the stove on medium flame so that no lumps are formed. Keep on stirring till the custard thickens. Since it’s for a trifle recipe, I prefer it slightly thicker.
- Allow the custard to cool at room temperature.
For whipped cream
- In another bowl, take 2 cups of chilled cream.
- With an electric beater or in a stand mixer, whip the cream till you get soft peaks.
- Add 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, give it a stir and your cream is ready.
Prepping fruits and cake for the trifle
- Slice and chop fruits of your choice; just avoid citrus fruits and melons. I used apples, grapes, strawberries and pomegranate.
- Now slice 250 grams or a small block of plain vanilla cake or pound cake into cubes. I used homemade pound cake.
Arranging the trifle
- Line half a portion of the sponge cubes in a serving bowl. You can also make individual portions of the trifles in bowls or dessert glasses.
- Brush the cake with any juice of your choice; don’t overuse it.
- Now layer half of the chopped mixed fruits.
- Spread half of the custard in a layer.
- Add a layer of whipped cream.
- Repeat all the layers.
- Even out the topmost layer with a spatula and top it with chocolate shavings and cherry. You can also use fruits, berries or anything of your choice.
- Chill it in refrigerator and your trifle is ready to be served.